To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt (A Big Words Book #7) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 7 in the A Big Words Book series.
- #1: Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (A Big Words Book #1) (Paperback): $7.99
- #3: Jack's Path of Courage: The Life of John F. Kennedy (A Big Words Book #3) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #4: Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller (A Big Words Book #4) (Hardcover): $17.99
- #5: Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln (A Big Words Book #5) (Hardcover): $16.99
- #6: John's Secret Dreams: The Life of John Lennon (A Big Words Book #6) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #8: Frederick's Journey: The Life of Frederick Douglass (A Big Words Book #8) (Hardcover): $17.99
- #10: Walt's Imagination: The Life of Walt Disney (A Big Words Book #10) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
President Theodore Roosevelt is known as "the man with a plan," the "rough rider." His figure stands tall in American history, his legacy stretching him to larger-than-life proportions.
But before his rise to fame, he was just "Teedie," a boy with ambitious dreams to change the world, and the conviction to see his stupendous imaginings brought to fruition.
As an American president, he left an impressive mark upon his country. He promised a "square deal" to all citizens, he tamed big businesses, and protected the nation's wildlife and natural beauty. His fearless leadership assured that he would always be remembered, and his robust spirit now dares others to do mighty things.
In her moving picturebook portrait, award-winning author Doreen Rappaport uses her well-honed approach of personal quotes and vivid prose to spin together the tale of a sickly boy who became a monumental man. Coupled with C. F. Payne's dramatic artwork, the story of President Teddy, touchstone of American history, is brought to life.
About the Author
C.F. Payne is an artist-illustrator whose work has graced the covers of Time Magazine, The New York Times Book Review, The Atlantic Monthly, and more. His picturebooks include Late for School by Steve Martin, Lineup for Yesterday by Ogden Nash, as well as The Remarkable Farkle McBride and Micawber, both by John Lithgow. His artwork has been exhibited at The Cincinnati Art Museum, The National Portrait Gallery, The Norman Rockwell Museum, The Society of Illustrators Museum of American Illustration, and The Selby Gallery at Ringling College of Art and Design. He currently teaches illustration at Columbus College of Art and Design, where he also serves as co-chair of the Illustration Department. Visit him at www.cfpayne.com.
PRAISE FOR TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS
* School Library Journal Best Book of 2013
* Bank Street Best Children's Book of 2014
* 2014 The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Blue Ribbon
* 2013 New York Public Library's "One Hundred Titles for Reading and Sharing"
* 2014 Green Earth Book Award Shortlist
PRAISE FOR JACK'S PATH OF COURAGE
"[An] inspiring portrait."—Kirkus Reviews